This is a test. Will Windows Live Writer successfully publish this post on my blog? Only one way to find out…
No, not with new posts, but the backend software… I’ve been getting a ridiculous amount of spam via the comments feature, and finally had enough. So I’ve updated to WordPress 2.12 and added the akismet plug-in in the hopes of eliminating all of the gibberish coming through. So if anyone would leave real comments (hint hint), I may actually see them now!
BTW, the return of the baby countdown (and the obligatory explanation post) is coming shortly.
A collection of interesting links I’ve found over the past few months, but either didn’t have the time or inclination to write a full post about. Enjoy –
- Why does orange juice taste so bad after brushing your teeth?
- 10 most dangerous playthings of all time
- Scorpion venom could help treat brain cancer patients
- Worst-case scenarios
- US presidential speeches tag cloud
- How to survive a party when you don’t know anybody
- Thinking like a genius
- Doing Nothing: A History of Loafers, Loungers, Slackers, and Bums in America
- Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity
- A collection of the worst personal websites I’ve seen, all on one server
I’ve been meaning to write more often than I have, but I never can seem to get around to it… every couple of days (usually on the drive to and from work) I’ll think of something I want to write about, but by the time I get home, I don’t want to sit down and flesh it out.
Anyway, this one is about my adventures in weight gain and loss. For the first month of marriage, I was holding steady at 191 – which is pretty good for me these days. But by the time summer rolled around, I was up over 20 pounds (!!!) – Emily might be too good of a cook 🙂
Since I had such good results with Body for Life a few years ago, we decided to try that approach. The plan is to finish the 12 week program the week of Thanksgiving – so far it’s going pretty good. We’re eating much better, and getting up nearly every morning to go to the Y before work. I’ve lost about 10 pounds so far, and feel much better. It’s always fun to see muscles showing up in places where there were none before. I actually have hamstrings and delts now!
It’s much easier to stick with the diet and exercise when you have someone else to do it with. And the free days are always fun – I’m at the end of my free day for this week, so I’m feeling pretty sick (Pizza, shakes, Dunkin’ Donuts, etc.) But it really does help keep you on track the rest of the week, when you know you can have all the stuff you’ve been craving. Like birthday cake…
’cause my birthday is coming up in a few days… I officially enter the mid-30s next Sunday. That’s right – the big 3-4. I guess there’s nothing particularly big about 34, other than the number itself.
And the day after that marks two years since I met my wife… our first date was October 23, 2004. Amerigo’s and “Cellular” – not the most romantic date, but you gotta start somewhere 🙂 Hard to believe that this time two years ago we hadn’t even met, and a year ago we just got engaged. Emily is up in Chicago looking at wedding gowns and bridesmaid dresses again this year – but this time for her sister who is getting married next year.
As far as other anniversaries to celebrate – last month I crossed the three year point from my last round of chemo… everything’s still looking good. Actually after two years the chance of recurrence is less than 5% for my particular kind, so each year out the odds get better and better. I’ve got a whole ‘nother post to write about what I’ve learned in the past year, but I’ll save that one for later.
So… no posts in over two months. Let’s hit the high points:
- Still cancer-free – had my latest round of CT scans and X-rays this week, everything is looking good.
- Still married and working on an addition to the family.
- Another nephew is on the way (18 months ago I had none – now I have seven – almost. And a niece.)
- My mom is officially retired.
- My wife has a blog… or at least the start of one 🙂
- Thinking of buying a new car, but need to sell the Celica first (now that I finally got the “check engine” light to turn off)
- Took a couple of trips up to Chicago to visit the in-laws and hang out at the lake.
- Been trying to get back in the habit of running… it’s a struggle.
- Pluto no longer a planet? What madness is this?
- Desperately need to mow the yard.
Anything I missed Molly? 🙂
After four years of using Blogger, it’s time for a change. I’ve switched over to WordPress, since I can host the entire thing on my website, and it’s far more customizable (I particularly like the Categories feature). So now the new address is 3nv7.com – the old address will still get you here as well.